When the weather begins to warm up, it’s natural to throw open the windows and clean up your home or apartment. But spring cleaning doesn’t have to only be for your house! You can use this wonderful time of year as an opportunity to do some spring cleaning on the inside by eating well.
According to the National Council of Aging, there are six keys to eat well as you get older:
- Know what a healthy plate looks like – Make sure that your plate includes portions of proteins, fruits, vegetables, and carbohydrates.
- Look for important nutrients – Eating a variety of types and colors of foods will ensure you get the nutrients you need to be healthy.
- Read nutrition labels – Look for foods with low sugar or sodium.
- Eat the recommended servings – You may not need as much of nutrients as you age.
- Stay hydrated – Drinking water helps you digest food, rid your body of waste, and keeps your systems functioning properly.
- Stretch your food budget – Use meal planning to help with your food budget as well as explore programs that can help you stretch your dollars.